PHOENIX — Airfare and extra fees continue to rise, but there is a way to save money on your next flight.
You just have to be willing to sacrifice flying non-stop.
“If you basically add a connecting flight into your trip you can save up to half,” said Rick Seaney, CEO of travel site FareCompare.com. I’ve actually seen more than half savings, especially at the last minute.”
As a rule, Seaney recommends searching for these connecting flights 30 to 45 days before your departure date.
“You generally will see a 10 to 50 percent break in flights compared to the convenient ones.”
Seaney looked up a trip from Phoenix to Washington, D.C. in mid-August to prove his point. Currently, it’s running about $470 round trip, but Jet Blue has it for $360 with a connection in Boston.
He also suggested flying on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday for the best airfares, and also waiting for a magical date to book your next trip.
“People that are getting on flights on Aug. 24 are going to pay about 30 percent more than those getting on Aug. 25. That almost exactly corresponds with kids going back to school,” Seaney said. “All the carriers have dropped their prices pretty dramatically for departures on or after Aug. 25.”
Seaney said now is also the time to start shopping for Thanksgiving travel.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night