PHOENIX — Airfare and extra fees continue to rise, but there is a way to save money on your next flight.
You just have to be willing to sacrifice flying non-stop.
“If you basically add a connecting flight into your trip you can save up to half,” said Rick Seaney, CEO of travel site FareCompare.com. I’ve actually seen more than half savings, especially at the last minute.”
As a rule, Seaney recommends searching for these connecting flights 30 to 45 days before your departure date.
“You generally will see a 10 to 50 percent break in flights compared to the convenient ones.”
Seaney looked up a trip from Phoenix to Washington, D.C. in mid-August to prove his point. Currently, it’s running about $470 round trip, but Jet Blue has it for $360 with a connection in Boston.
He also suggested flying on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday for the best airfares, and also waiting for a magical date to book your next trip.
“People that are getting on flights on Aug. 24 are going to pay about 30 percent more than those getting on Aug. 25. That almost exactly corresponds with kids going back to school,” Seaney said. “All the carriers have dropped their prices pretty dramatically for departures on or after Aug. 25.”
Seaney said now is also the time to start shopping for Thanksgiving travel.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development