PHOENIX — Airfare and extra fees continue to rise, but there is a way to save money on your next flight.
You just have to be willing to sacrifice flying non-stop.
“If you basically add a connecting flight into your trip you can save up to half,” said Rick Seaney, CEO of travel site FareCompare.com. I’ve actually seen more than half savings, especially at the last minute.”
As a rule, Seaney recommends searching for these connecting flights 30 to 45 days before your departure date.
“You generally will see a 10 to 50 percent break in flights compared to the convenient ones.”
Seaney looked up a trip from Phoenix to Washington, D.C. in mid-August to prove his point. Currently, it’s running about $470 round trip, but Jet Blue has it for $360 with a connection in Boston.
He also suggested flying on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday for the best airfares, and also waiting for a magical date to book your next trip.
“People that are getting on flights on Aug. 24 are going to pay about 30 percent more than those getting on Aug. 25. That almost exactly corresponds with kids going back to school,” Seaney said. “All the carriers have dropped their prices pretty dramatically for departures on or after Aug. 25.”
Seaney said now is also the time to start shopping for Thanksgiving travel.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck