PHOENIX — Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton took 80 Phoenix preschoolers on a climb through a giant play structure Thursday to celebrate the anniversary of a program benefiting underprivileged kids.
Stanton’s Great Start Initiative gives underprivileged kids and their families a chance to learn and have fun.
“When a child signs up for kindergarten at one of our inner-city school districts, not only that child, but their family and siblings, all get free admission to the Children’s Museum, Arizona Science Center, and some of our other wonderful cultural activities,” he said.
Stanton said the program gives kids a chance to enjoy some of the activities that other people may take for granted, like going to places where they can play and learn. He said the iniative gives the kids a head start on the new school year.
“Kids who come to the Children’s Museum and participate in the brain expanding activities that they do here, and have a lot of fun while doing it, are kids that are going to be better prepared when they enter school,” he said.
The city also provides free transportation to bring the families to the different attractions.
The Great Start Initiative is a joint effort with the City of Phoenix Human Services Department’s Head Start Program and the Greater Phoenix Urban League.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy