PHOENIX — Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton took 80 Phoenix preschoolers on a climb through a giant play structure Thursday to celebrate the anniversary of a program benefiting underprivileged kids.
Stanton’s Great Start Initiative gives underprivileged kids and their families a chance to learn and have fun.
“When a child signs up for kindergarten at one of our inner-city school districts, not only that child, but their family and siblings, all get free admission to the Children’s Museum, Arizona Science Center, and some of our other wonderful cultural activities,” he said.
Stanton said the program gives kids a chance to enjoy some of the activities that other people may take for granted, like going to places where they can play and learn. He said the iniative gives the kids a head start on the new school year.
“Kids who come to the Children’s Museum and participate in the brain expanding activities that they do here, and have a lot of fun while doing it, are kids that are going to be better prepared when they enter school,” he said.
The city also provides free transportation to bring the families to the different attractions.
The Great Start Initiative is a joint effort with the City of Phoenix Human Services Department’s Head Start Program and the Greater Phoenix Urban League.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life