PHOENIX — Arizona’s only female police pilot said there’s nothing like chasing bad guys from above.
Corynn Wittrock of the Phoenix Police Department is among just a handful of women flying police aircraft in the United States.
Police helicopters are up in the air almost constantly in the Valley. Wittrock has been patrolling the city by air for the past five years.
The tactical flight officer knew this what she wanted to do since she was just a girl.
“This is it. Some people want to be astronauts or something else. This was my thing,” Wittrock said. “Not sure why more women don’t become police pilots.”
Flying is serious business for Wittrock.
“What we do is dangerous. High risk and high reward,” Wittrock said. “These police helicopters are invaluable. A lot of times we’re the only reason someone was caught for a crime.
“Sometimes patrol officers are by themselves and we’ll fly overhead and stop a suspect from trying to get an advantage of the one on one situation.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas