PHOENIX — Arizona’s only female police pilot said there’s nothing like chasing bad guys from above.
Corynn Wittrock of the Phoenix Police Department is among just a handful of women flying police aircraft in the United States.
Police helicopters are up in the air almost constantly in the Valley. Wittrock has been patrolling the city by air for the past five years.
The tactical flight officer knew this what she wanted to do since she was just a girl.
“This is it. Some people want to be astronauts or something else. This was my thing,” Wittrock said. “Not sure why more women don’t become police pilots.”
Flying is serious business for Wittrock.
“What we do is dangerous. High risk and high reward,” Wittrock said. “These police helicopters are invaluable. A lot of times we’re the only reason someone was caught for a crime.
“Sometimes patrol officers are by themselves and we’ll fly overhead and stop a suspect from trying to get an advantage of the one on one situation.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food