PHOENIX — The monsoon storms are making life very busy at Valley doctors’ offices, but it’s what could develop next month that has them concerned.
Most of the patients visiting Scottsdale Healthcare on McKellips Road this week have come in with typical symptoms.
“The sunshine and the little rain for this year, people’s allergies keep flaring, said Dr. Clifford Gazda. “And now, as we’re getting into monsoon season, we’re getting a lot of people with not just allergy symptoms, but deeper cough-like symptoms.”
While it may not be as a big an issue today, Gazda is worried for patients who notice a persistent cough, coupled with muscle fatigue and other symptoms in the next four weeks.
“Some people get night sweats as well, particularly in the evening, and the fevers,” he explained.
If it won’t let up, he suspects it could be coccidiomycosis spores — or valley fever — that’s taken a firm hold in your lungs.
If left untreated, he warned it could cause far more serious problems.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night