PHOENIX — The situation involving undocumented minors showing up in Arizona is being talked about half a world away.
The Baptist World Alliance passed a resolution on the subject during its meeting in Izmur, Turkey.
The resolution was proposed by the Rev. Warren Stewart, pastor of the First Institutional Baptist Church in Phoenix.
Stewart said the issue involving the immigrant minors should be dealt with in a biblical way.
“The Bible talks about being kind to strangers. Jesus is quoted as saying, ‘Let the little children come to me,'” said Stewart. “Christians all over, especially Baptists, and the community at large, need to address the crisis in a compassionate, caring way.”
The resolution also called for a political solution.
“It does urge the president and Congress to pass comprehensive immigration reform so that these matters can be settled once and for all,” Stewart declared.
With the Alliance representing millions of American Baptists, Stewart said the resolution should carry a lot of weight.
“Many of them are politically engaged, so it certainly should influence them to get their congresspersons to pass legislation to get this matter settled,” he said.
The Handbook of Denominations in the United States says that over 35 million Americans are currently members of a Baptist church.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night