PHOENIX — The situation involving undocumented minors showing up in Arizona is being talked about half a world away.
The Baptist World Alliance passed a resolution on the subject during its meeting in Izmur, Turkey.
The resolution was proposed by the Rev. Warren Stewart, pastor of the First Institutional Baptist Church in Phoenix.
Stewart said the issue involving the immigrant minors should be dealt with in a biblical way.
“The Bible talks about being kind to strangers. Jesus is quoted as saying, ‘Let the little children come to me,'” said Stewart. “Christians all over, especially Baptists, and the community at large, need to address the crisis in a compassionate, caring way.”
The resolution also called for a political solution.
“It does urge the president and Congress to pass comprehensive immigration reform so that these matters can be settled once and for all,” Stewart declared.
With the Alliance representing millions of American Baptists, Stewart said the resolution should carry a lot of weight.
“Many of them are politically engaged, so it certainly should influence them to get their congresspersons to pass legislation to get this matter settled,” he said.
The Handbook of Denominations in the United States says that over 35 million Americans are currently members of a Baptist church.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development