PHOENIX — The situation involving undocumented minors showing up in Arizona is being talked about half a world away.
The Baptist World Alliance passed a resolution on the subject during its meeting in Izmur, Turkey.
The resolution was proposed by the Rev. Warren Stewart, pastor of the First Institutional Baptist Church in Phoenix.
Stewart said the issue involving the immigrant minors should be dealt with in a biblical way.
“The Bible talks about being kind to strangers. Jesus is quoted as saying, ‘Let the little children come to me,'” said Stewart. “Christians all over, especially Baptists, and the community at large, need to address the crisis in a compassionate, caring way.”
The resolution also called for a political solution.
“It does urge the president and Congress to pass comprehensive immigration reform so that these matters can be settled once and for all,” Stewart declared.
With the Alliance representing millions of American Baptists, Stewart said the resolution should carry a lot of weight.
“Many of them are politically engaged, so it certainly should influence them to get their congresspersons to pass legislation to get this matter settled,” he said.
The Handbook of Denominations in the United States says that over 35 million Americans are currently members of a Baptist church.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food