PHOENIX — Two Arizona representatives are assembling a group to review existing animal cruelty statutes and potentially craft new ones.
“The stakeholder group will focus on policies that ensure when people entrust their beloved pets to a boarding facility, they will be safe and properly cared for,” said Rep. Kate Brophy McGee in a press release.
Brophy McGee has already met with representatives from Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio and the Animal Cruelty Investigation Unit (ACIU).
Joining legislators and law enforcement in the group discussions will also be “representatives for small and large pet boarding businesses, county government and animal welfare groups.”
“This is a very complicated issue with many interests,” said Brophy McGee. “Ultimately, the goal is to protect our pets, not interfere or unduly burden businesses that operate properly.”
The necessity for the group comes after 21 dogs perished at dog boarding facility in Gilbert back in June.
Brophy McGee and Rep. Brenda Barton will hold a news conference next week to discuss the issue.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon