PHOENIX — Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne unveiled on Wednesday a proposed settlement with Apple Inc. related to the company’s participation in an e-book price-fixing.
The proposed agreement aims to resolve claims for damages brought by Arizona and 32 other states, as well as the states’ civil penalty claims.
The agreement still remains subject to approval by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. If the court’s ruling is upheld, consumers across the U.S. will receive a total of $400 million.
Last July, the District Court found that Apple had violated the antitrust laws by conspiring with five publishers to artificially raise prices for e-books between 2010 and 2012.
Horne said in a release he is pleased with the settlement, which will provide consumers with over twice their actual damages when combined with previous publisher settlements.
Five publishers have already compensated e-book purchasers around the country through a $166 million settlement.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night