PHOENIX — Several major National Youth Baseball tournaments will be hosted in the city of Surprise.
The Babe Ruth Arizona tournament kicks off a series of tournaments Wednesday. Five more tournaments are scheduled in Surprise during the coming weeks.
“We’re very excited, once again, to offer state and national tournaments that bring folks from all over the country,” Mark Coronado, Surprise community and recreation director, said.
The city has hosted National Youth Baseball tournaments for more than seven years. It has taken a lot of work from the city council to make that happen, according to Coronado.
“The mayor and council, their initiatives have been really focused on sports tourism,” he said.
Coronado said one of the biggest perks of hosting the tournaments is the economic impact.
“The visitors, the players and their families obviously stay in Surprise, they eat in Surprise and they play in Surprise,” he said.
The tournaments generate more than $1 million for local businesses every year.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets