PHOENIX — Several major National Youth Baseball tournaments will be hosted in the city of Surprise.
The Babe Ruth Arizona tournament kicks off a series of tournaments Wednesday. Five more tournaments are scheduled in Surprise during the coming weeks.
“We’re very excited, once again, to offer state and national tournaments that bring folks from all over the country,” Mark Coronado, Surprise community and recreation director, said.
The city has hosted National Youth Baseball tournaments for more than seven years. It has taken a lot of work from the city council to make that happen, according to Coronado.
“The mayor and council, their initiatives have been really focused on sports tourism,” he said.
Coronado said one of the biggest perks of hosting the tournaments is the economic impact.
“The visitors, the players and their families obviously stay in Surprise, they eat in Surprise and they play in Surprise,” he said.
The tournaments generate more than $1 million for local businesses every year.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas