PHOENIX — The Valley’s best air guitarists might want to try their hand at another simulated activity.
Fictional ax players might want to test out the “Air Sex World Championship” slated for next month at downtown Phoenix’s Filmbar, said Film Programmer Andrea Beesley.
“It’s one of the most humiliating things I’ve ever done,” she said. “Basically you get to choose your own music piece and you just have to simulate a sexual act with an imaginary partner.”
Contestants get two minutes to strut their stuff onstage in front of crowds and judges to see who has the best moves.
“They’re looking for creativity, passion…they’re looking to see the crowd is responding,” Beesley said.
Even with the embarrassment, Beesley said there is no nudity and it’s all in good fun.
“It’s so much fun, I have competed both times,” she said.
The competition started as a joke by a group of comedians in Austin, Texas and has been on hiatus since coming to Phoenix in 2010 and 2011. Now the competition is back and the stakes are high as Beesley said Phoenix is looking to reclaim its pedigree on the world stage of “air sexing.”
“The winner from here will go on to compete in the championship final and they get like a wrestling belt,” she said. “In 2010, the girl who won, who then went on to become the world champ, she’s actually from Phoenix.”
Beesley said the competition is free to enter and registration is available online. Entry is $10 for spectators. Beesley said they’ve already sold a lot of tickets.
The competition takes place Tuesday, Aug. 5, at 7:30 p.m. and is for those 21 and over.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.