PHOENIX — The Valley’s best air guitarists might want to try their hand at another simulated activity.
Fictional ax players might want to test out the “Air Sex World Championship” slated for next month at downtown Phoenix’s Filmbar, said Film Programmer Andrea Beesley.
“It’s one of the most humiliating things I’ve ever done,” she said. “Basically you get to choose your own music piece and you just have to simulate a sexual act with an imaginary partner.”
Contestants get two minutes to strut their stuff onstage in front of crowds and judges to see who has the best moves.
“They’re looking for creativity, passion…they’re looking to see the crowd is responding,” Beesley said.
Even with the embarrassment, Beesley said there is no nudity and it’s all in good fun.
“It’s so much fun, I have competed both times,” she said.
The competition started as a joke by a group of comedians in Austin, Texas and has been on hiatus since coming to Phoenix in 2010 and 2011. Now the competition is back and the stakes are high as Beesley said Phoenix is looking to reclaim its pedigree on the world stage of “air sexing.”
“The winner from here will go on to compete in the championship final and they get like a wrestling belt,” she said. “In 2010, the girl who won, who then went on to become the world champ, she’s actually from Phoenix.”
Beesley said the competition is free to enter and registration is available online. Entry is $10 for spectators. Beesley said they’ve already sold a lot of tickets.
The competition takes place Tuesday, Aug. 5, at 7:30 p.m. and is for those 21 and over.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl