PHOENIX — The Valley’s best air guitarists might want to try their hand at another simulated activity.
Fictional ax players might want to test out the “Air Sex World Championship” slated for next month at downtown Phoenix’s Filmbar, said Film Programmer Andrea Beesley.
“It’s one of the most humiliating things I’ve ever done,” she said. “Basically you get to choose your own music piece and you just have to simulate a sexual act with an imaginary partner.”
Contestants get two minutes to strut their stuff onstage in front of crowds and judges to see who has the best moves.
“They’re looking for creativity, passion…they’re looking to see the crowd is responding,” Beesley said.
Even with the embarrassment, Beesley said there is no nudity and it’s all in good fun.
“It’s so much fun, I have competed both times,” she said.
The competition started as a joke by a group of comedians in Austin, Texas and has been on hiatus since coming to Phoenix in 2010 and 2011. Now the competition is back and the stakes are high as Beesley said Phoenix is looking to reclaim its pedigree on the world stage of “air sexing.”
“The winner from here will go on to compete in the championship final and they get like a wrestling belt,” she said. “In 2010, the girl who won, who then went on to become the world champ, she’s actually from Phoenix.”
Beesley said the competition is free to enter and registration is available online. Entry is $10 for spectators. Beesley said they’ve already sold a lot of tickets.
The competition takes place Tuesday, Aug. 5, at 7:30 p.m. and is for those 21 and over.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon