PHOENIX — The third monsoon in three days blew into the Phoenix metro area Tuesday afternoon.
The storm triggered a severe thunderstorm warning near the Phoenix metro area.
The warning said the storm could produce penny-sized hail, heavy rains and winds exceeding 60 mph. It was in effect until 2:15 p.m.
As it blew into the Valley, the storm immediately began to hit everything hard.
Very STRONG storm over Scottsdale near Scottsdale Airport producing winds up to 50 mph and penny sized hail. Flooding possible. #abc15wx
— Laura Thomas (@LauraThomasTV) July 15, 2014
McDowell Mountain Rain with heavy rain, NE Scottsdale
— Royal Norman (@royalnorman) July 15, 2014
Power was knocked out for about 1,800 people in the area between Peoria and Dunlap and Mountain View and Cave Creek roads, said Arizona Public Service spokesperson Alan Bunnell.
The weather affected flights out of Phoenix Sky Harbor.
“We’re experiencing departure delays of about 30 minutes,” said Julie Rodriguez with the airport. “(We’re) not seeing arrival delays at this time. With monsoon storms, that can change very quickly.”
The storm was also producing lightning and thunder.
A flash flood watch was in effect for the Phoenix metro area until 8 p.m.
Forecasters called for more storms Tuesday morning shortly after the second damaging monsoon storm in two days.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer and Lauren Grifo contributed to this report.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments