PHOENIX — The pastor of a southern Arizona church is calling for the United States to put politics aside and focus on helping hundreds of Latin American children who have entered the country illegally.
“Put aside all the political ideology that surrounds this issue, we have kids that are in need,” Crossroads Church Pastor Dan Johnson told Bruce St. James and Pamela Hughes on Tuesday. “Let’s put aside everything and serve the children.”
Johnson wants to bring in a large group to help the children.
“If we brought in 100 childcare providers, youth directors, pastors, in a short time we would figure out ways that we can engage these kids and make their experience less than incarceration,” he said.
But Johnson said he was told by Rep. Raul Grijalva that priests were not being permitted into a Nogales detention center housing nearly 1,000 children. However, he has a backup plan.
“Bring in a battalion of grandmothers who can read stories to them if they’re young, engage them in activities, games,” he said. “Bring in food, bring in other things that could make their experience in the detention center better.”
Johnson has helped those in peril while crossing the border for years.
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips