PHOENIX — The pastor of a southern Arizona church is calling for the United States to put politics aside and focus on helping hundreds of Latin American children who have entered the country illegally.
“Put aside all the political ideology that surrounds this issue, we have kids that are in need,” Crossroads Church Pastor Dan Johnson told Bruce St. James and Pamela Hughes on Tuesday. “Let’s put aside everything and serve the children.”
Johnson wants to bring in a large group to help the children.
“If we brought in 100 childcare providers, youth directors, pastors, in a short time we would figure out ways that we can engage these kids and make their experience less than incarceration,” he said.
But Johnson said he was told by Rep. Raul Grijalva that priests were not being permitted into a Nogales detention center housing nearly 1,000 children. However, he has a backup plan.
“Bring in a battalion of grandmothers who can read stories to them if they’re young, engage them in activities, games,” he said. “Bring in food, bring in other things that could make their experience in the detention center better.”
Johnson has helped those in peril while crossing the border for years.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier