PHOENIX — Hundreds of trees have been snapped off or pulled out of the ground during the monsoon. They’ve come down on cars, homes and power lines.
There’s no guarantee when it comes to saving trees from powerful winds but there are steps homeowners can take to give trees a fighting chance.
Jeff Harper with Harper’s Nursery said pruning trees and not overwatering them is the best way to protect them during Arizona’s monsoon.
“Thin those trees out so when the wind kicks up it passes through the leaves and the tree doesn’t grab it like a big sail and topple over.”
For young trees, make sure they’re properly staked down. Be sure that there is some give to the wire so the tree can move a bit. Be sure to run the wire through an old hose or other type of material before wrapping it around the tree trunk.
Harper said bigger trees can be protected with a device called a duckbill.
“It works on the great big trees. It’s an apparatus we pound into the ground with cables attached. When you pull the cable, the duckbill goes perpendicular to the soil and they’re bound with heavy cable that can be tightened and keep the tree upright.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.