PHOENIX — A University of Arizona professor has unearthed a huge discovery.
“We found and excavated this archaeological site where a particular kind of extinct elephant, called a gomphothere, was killed and butchered about 13,500 years ago,” said Vance Holliday, professor of anthropology and geosciences at UA.
Gomphotheres were about the same size as modern-day elephants. They were once prevalent in North America but were presumed to have left before the first humans arrived on the continent toward the end of the Ice Age, about 13,000 to 13,500 years ago.
But now, Holliday says there is proof at least some gomphotheres remained in North America post-Ice Age and were hunted by early humans.
“At the end of the last Ice Age, it (the gomphothere) was relatively common in Central and South America (and) quite rare in North America,” he explained. “This is the first gomphothere kill site found in North America.”
The primitive elephant’s remains were found amid other artifacts from the Clovis culture in northwestern New Mexico.
“Clovis is the name given to a particular spear point — artifact style — and it’s the oldest recognizable industry or technology in North America,” he explained.
The Clovis culture used hunting and gathering methods for survival and is named after Clovis, New Mexico, where the first artifacts were originally found almost 90 years ago.
The University of Arizona co-directed the project with Mexico’s Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food