PHOENIX — It has been Arizona’s eighth-driest snow-melt season in 116 years, which means the greater Phoenix area will be going to its reserves for water.
“Our reservoirs are 51 percent full, which isn’t bad for being in a drought for the last 20 years,” said Charles Ester, manager of water resource operations for Salt River Project.
SRP is metro Phoenix’s largest water supplier, boasting six main water storage services on the Salt and the Verde rivers, he said. Those normally store about three years of average snow-melt runoff, he added.
“So how that works is … you tend to store water in wet years, and then release in those years, like this year, that did not provide adequate water to fill the system back up,” Ester said.
In addition to taking water from reserves to make up the difference, Ester said SRP will be pumping quite a bit of groundwater from wells in the Valley.
However, there is some good news for this winter, hopefully.
“The Pacific Ocean is trending toward an El Niño pattern, which we haven’t seen for quite a while,” he said. “And El Niño winters are typically wet in Arizona.”
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck