PHOENIX — Hundreds of protestors are planning to gather in Oracle, Ariz., with the intention of preventing busloads of Latin American children from being unloaded at the Sycamore Canyon Academy.
A statement from Sycamore Canyon, a boys boarding ranch, confirms the federal government has made arrangements to temporarily house the unaccompanied minors in the southern Arizona town.
“Sycamore Canyon Academy, at the urgent request of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR), will provide safe and temporary care to a small number of the unaccompanied youth from Central and South America,” the statement said. “These children will be temporarily placed at the campus by the ORR until they can be properly processed and placed with an appropriate sponsor or repatriated to their home country. Sycamore Canyon Academy is working closely with the federal refugee program and appreciates the support we have received for this humanitarian effort.
“Sycamore Canyon Academy is not taking a position on the immigration debate in any way. We believe it is for others to decide. Our mission is to improve the lives of youth, and we will continue to fulfill our mission by focusing on our work with children.”
Some of Oracle locals are not happy with their town’s facilities being used to house illegal immigrant children.
“We will turn the buses around. They will not get through us,” said resident Ron Thompson. “We are not willing to accept this. It’s an illegal act by the federal government — the Obama Administration to be specific. These are illegal people and they should be deported.”
Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu has ordered a large police presence outside of the facility, and deputies have been given orders to not allow protestors to block traffic.
Many of those who plan to demonstrate say they will risk arrest to make sure the government doesn’t succeed in dropping the children off in Oracle.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon