PHOENIX — Rattlesnake season is underway in Arizona. Hospitals throughout the Valley have reported a recent increase in the number of patients who have been bitten by the reptiles.
Dr. Steven Curry, director of the Department of Medical Toxicology at Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center, said July has been a busy month in regard to snake bites.
He said doctors at Banner’s Poison, Drug and Information Center have recently treated an average of one rattlesnake bite patient per day.
“And we’ve had patients who have experienced multiple bites at one time,” Curry said.
Curry said he recommends keeping at least a 15-foot distance from snakes in the wild, especially a rattlesnake.
“Keep distance and as soon as you recognize an encounter with a snake, move away from it. Do not move toward the snake,” Curry said.
If a person is bitten by a rattlesnake, Curry said do not treat the wound; seek medical attention instead.
“We discourage the use of snakebite kits, taking knives and cutting on yourself over the wounds, and we discourage the use of suction,” he said. “The best first aid is a set of car keys.”
Arizona averages about one rattlesnake bite death every year.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier