PHOENIX — Rattlesnake season is underway in Arizona. Hospitals throughout the Valley have reported a recent increase in the number of patients who have been bitten by the reptiles.
Dr. Steven Curry, director of the Department of Medical Toxicology at Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center, said July has been a busy month in regard to snake bites.
He said doctors at Banner’s Poison, Drug and Information Center have recently treated an average of one rattlesnake bite patient per day.
“And we’ve had patients who have experienced multiple bites at one time,” Curry said.
Curry said he recommends keeping at least a 15-foot distance from snakes in the wild, especially a rattlesnake.
“Keep distance and as soon as you recognize an encounter with a snake, move away from it. Do not move toward the snake,” Curry said.
If a person is bitten by a rattlesnake, Curry said do not treat the wound; seek medical attention instead.
“We discourage the use of snakebite kits, taking knives and cutting on yourself over the wounds, and we discourage the use of suction,” he said. “The best first aid is a set of car keys.”
Arizona averages about one rattlesnake bite death every year.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them