PHOENIX — Thousands of kids in the Valley will be going back to school with nearly everything they need thanks to a major clothing drive.
The 18th annual Back to School Clothing Drive began distributing supplies to under-privileged kids Monday at Alhambra High School near 38th Avenue and Camelback Road.
“We’re going to be able to distribute over $2 million in brand new school uniforms, outfits, backpacks and school supplies for kids throughout this Valley,” said Karl Gentles, executive director of Back to School Clothing Drive.
Gentles said the organization works year-round to afford the supplies. He estimated there will be about 5,000 kids showing up to get supplies.
“The kids get paired up with a personal shopper and then they go from department to department,” he said. “They go to the shoe department, socks and underwear, belts, they go to a learning zone, (and) they go to the backpack department,” he said. “All those things they go to with a personal shopper.”
Many of the kids that attend the drive have never had new clothes or school supplies, and Gentles said receiving these supplies has a huge impact on the kids.
“For many of these kids, these are the first new items that they might own,” Gentles said. “We’ve had stories over the years with kids where these are the first books they’ve every owned, we’ve had kids that have come in with the same shoes from the year before, (and) we’ve had kids that have never owned their own toothbrush.”
This week’s drive is by preregistration only Gentles said. It runs through Friday.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food