PHOENIX — Thousands of kids in the Valley will be going back to school with nearly everything they need thanks to a major clothing drive.
The 18th annual Back to School Clothing Drive began distributing supplies to under-privileged kids Monday at Alhambra High School near 38th Avenue and Camelback Road.
“We’re going to be able to distribute over $2 million in brand new school uniforms, outfits, backpacks and school supplies for kids throughout this Valley,” said Karl Gentles, executive director of Back to School Clothing Drive.
Gentles said the organization works year-round to afford the supplies. He estimated there will be about 5,000 kids showing up to get supplies.
“The kids get paired up with a personal shopper and then they go from department to department,” he said. “They go to the shoe department, socks and underwear, belts, they go to a learning zone, (and) they go to the backpack department,” he said. “All those things they go to with a personal shopper.”
Many of the kids that attend the drive have never had new clothes or school supplies, and Gentles said receiving these supplies has a huge impact on the kids.
“For many of these kids, these are the first new items that they might own,” Gentles said. “We’ve had stories over the years with kids where these are the first books they’ve every owned, we’ve had kids that have come in with the same shoes from the year before, (and) we’ve had kids that have never owned their own toothbrush.”
This week’s drive is by preregistration only Gentles said. It runs through Friday.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier