PHOENIX — Arizona’s excess heat means Valley residents use more water during the summer months, upping the potential for a water main failure, an official said.
“We do see more breaks Valley-wide during the summertime, mostly just because of increased water use,” said Scottsdale Water Resource Director Brian Biesemeyer. “As the system is using more water, if there is some deficiency in the pipe material, that more than likely is when we would see it.”
In the last week, the Valley has seen two water main breaks, one in Phoenix at Seventh Avenue and McDowell Road and another in Scottsdale near Scottsdale and Chaparral roads.
Biesemeyer said the break in Scottsdale was not part of Scottsdale’s Water Resource Department, but on a line that is operated by Epcor, a private water service. With more than 2,000 miles of water mains in Scottsdale, Biesemeyer said the city sees about a dozen breaks a year, with the most common cause due to improper foundation below the pipes.
“Sometimes the rocks underneath can have an effect that causes premature wear on the lines,” Biesemeyer said.
Pressure fluctuations are also common reasons why pipes burst Biesemeyer said.
Biesemeyer said it’s important for residents to pay attention to water usage during the summer to help reduce the stress on water mains. He said conserving water not only conserves dollars, but it can also help reduce water main breaks.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food