PHOENIX — Arizona’s excess heat means Valley residents use more water during the summer months, upping the potential for a water main failure, an official said.
“We do see more breaks Valley-wide during the summertime, mostly just because of increased water use,” said Scottsdale Water Resource Director Brian Biesemeyer. “As the system is using more water, if there is some deficiency in the pipe material, that more than likely is when we would see it.”
In the last week, the Valley has seen two water main breaks, one in Phoenix at Seventh Avenue and McDowell Road and another in Scottsdale near Scottsdale and Chaparral roads.
Biesemeyer said the break in Scottsdale was not part of Scottsdale’s Water Resource Department, but on a line that is operated by Epcor, a private water service. With more than 2,000 miles of water mains in Scottsdale, Biesemeyer said the city sees about a dozen breaks a year, with the most common cause due to improper foundation below the pipes.
“Sometimes the rocks underneath can have an effect that causes premature wear on the lines,” Biesemeyer said.
Pressure fluctuations are also common reasons why pipes burst Biesemeyer said.
Biesemeyer said it’s important for residents to pay attention to water usage during the summer to help reduce the stress on water mains. He said conserving water not only conserves dollars, but it can also help reduce water main breaks.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck