PHOENIX — Arizona House Democrats have asked Gov. Jan Brewer to call a special session immediately to pay the $317 million in inflation funding the state currently owes schools.
Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Katherine Cooper ruled on July 11 that Legislature will need to pay the amount within a year.
Over the next five years, the state will be forced to pay schools $1.6 billion.
House Democrat Whip Eric Meyer said schools have suffered drastic budget cuts over the years, and they can use this money to make repairs to buildings and hire teachers to reduce classroom sizes.
“It’s crucial that we get this money into our classrooms and fulfill our obligations to the voters before the start of the next school year,” he said in a release.
Prop. 301 was approved by voters in 2000, which urged the Legislature to adjust school funding to keep up with inflation, however, schools remained underfunded.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night