PHOENIX — Arizona House Democrats have asked Gov. Jan Brewer to call a special session immediately to pay the $317 million in inflation funding the state currently owes schools.
Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Katherine Cooper ruled on July 11 that Legislature will need to pay the amount within a year.
Over the next five years, the state will be forced to pay schools $1.6 billion.
House Democrat Whip Eric Meyer said schools have suffered drastic budget cuts over the years, and they can use this money to make repairs to buildings and hire teachers to reduce classroom sizes.
“It’s crucial that we get this money into our classrooms and fulfill our obligations to the voters before the start of the next school year,” he said in a release.
Prop. 301 was approved by voters in 2000, which urged the Legislature to adjust school funding to keep up with inflation, however, schools remained underfunded.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food