PHOENIX — Arizona House Democrats have asked Gov. Jan Brewer to call a special session immediately to pay the $317 million in inflation funding the state currently owes schools.
Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Katherine Cooper ruled on July 11 that Legislature will need to pay the amount within a year.
Over the next five years, the state will be forced to pay schools $1.6 billion.
House Democrat Whip Eric Meyer said schools have suffered drastic budget cuts over the years, and they can use this money to make repairs to buildings and hire teachers to reduce classroom sizes.
“It’s crucial that we get this money into our classrooms and fulfill our obligations to the voters before the start of the next school year,” he said in a release.
Prop. 301 was approved by voters in 2000, which urged the Legislature to adjust school funding to keep up with inflation, however, schools remained underfunded.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development