PHOENIX — The wave of women and children from Central America into the United States is putting a strain on border counties, said a border group.
Carlos Aguilar with the US/Mexico Border Counties Coalition said border enforcement is a federal responsibility but taxpayers will likely be picking up much of the costs of dealing with the immigrants.
“It’s an unfair burden on border counties, border states and border communities,
Aguilar said. “Counties are not prepared to deal with the impacts of the undocumented immigrants flowing into the country and for years the federal government has neglected providing full funding for meeting their responsibilties regarding immigration.”
The federal government provides funding for dealing with natural disasters such as hurricanes and wildfires. The “national nightmare” on the border should qualify, Aguilar said.
“The Obama adminstration has said that they’re fully aware of the problem but there hasn’t been direct funding to these counties to meet the federal responsibilities,” he said.
Aguilar is among those who believe President Obama should visit the border to meet with leaders who are dealing with the wave of immigrants.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns