PHOENIX — Same-sex couples in Arizona could soon see an expansion of protections if a new proposal is implemented.
The United States Department of Labor has introduced a proposal that would change who qualifies under the federal Family and Marriage Leave Act.
“A spouse in a marriage has the right to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave to care for a marital partner with a serious health condition or to care for a child in that marriage,” said John Balitis, a Valley employment attorney with Fennemore Craig.
After the Supreme Court invalidated a portion of the Defense of Marriage Act in 2013, which attempted to federally define marriage as between a one man and one woman, the US Department of Labor left the definition of a “spouse” for leave purposes up to the laws of individual states, said Balitis.
“So if you lived in a state that recognized same-sex marriage, such as Minnesota, historically you were able to take advantage of spousal-leave rights under the law,” Balitis said. “(But) if you were a member of a same-sex marriage and lived in a state like Arizona, for example, that doesn’t recognize same-sex marriage you were not entitled to those rights.”
The new proposal would look to instead apply the definition of a spouse from the state where someone was married, effectively including married same-sex couple who fit the other criterion for leave time under the act.
“It essentially would change the definition of a spouse, for spousal leave purposes, from one that is premised on the law of the state in which the person resides, to the law of the state in which they were married,” Balitis said.
Balitis said if the proposal is adopted it could have an effect on Arizona businesses and government employees who would become eligible for leave time, so companies need to make sure they’re in compliance if it does take effect.
“Employers in states like Arizona need to then turn to their internal policies, their manuals and their handbooks, to make sure that they are consistent with the new rule,” he said.
The proposal is currently in a public comment period until Aug. 11.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier