A recent study which looked at 12 years of homeownership across major U.S. cities and found that Phoenix had the largest drop of all.
As the Phoenix Business Journal reports, Phoenix saw its homeownership rate drop by 7.8 percent between 2000 and 2012. Philadelphia’s 7.1 percent drop was the next worst, while Louisville, Ky., saw the biggest increase in homeownership — 7.9 percent — in the study.
Only around 50 percent of Phoenix-area homes were owner-occupied between 2000 and 2012, according to the Pew study. In that regard, New York City had the lowest number — with just 31.7 percent of its homes occupied by owners, as compared to tenants.
And, as the Phoenix Business Journal points out, the trend isn’t likely to reverse anytime soon.
There are as many as 27,900 apartment units in the regional planning pipeline and 4,900 under construction, according to research from Marcus & Millichap Real Estate Investment Services in Phoenix.
Significant apartments projects are under construction in Scottsdale, Tempe and Chandler.
Industry officials acknowledge that not all of those 27,900 units are going to get built with some zoning approvals aimed at improving property values and courting partners, investors and buyers.
Still, land-use attorneys, developers and real estate brokers say there are strong market fundamentals for multifamily projects. That includes Millenials not interested in homeownership and previous homeowners coming out of foreclosures and short sales who cannot qualify for mortgages or now prefer renting.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development