A recent study which looked at 12 years of homeownership across major U.S. cities and found that Phoenix had the largest drop of all.
As the Phoenix Business Journal reports, Phoenix saw its homeownership rate drop by 7.8 percent between 2000 and 2012. Philadelphia’s 7.1 percent drop was the next worst, while Louisville, Ky., saw the biggest increase in homeownership — 7.9 percent — in the study.
Only around 50 percent of Phoenix-area homes were owner-occupied between 2000 and 2012, according to the Pew study. In that regard, New York City had the lowest number — with just 31.7 percent of its homes occupied by owners, as compared to tenants.
And, as the Phoenix Business Journal points out, the trend isn’t likely to reverse anytime soon.
There are as many as 27,900 apartment units in the regional planning pipeline and 4,900 under construction, according to research from Marcus & Millichap Real Estate Investment Services in Phoenix.
Significant apartments projects are under construction in Scottsdale, Tempe and Chandler.
Industry officials acknowledge that not all of those 27,900 units are going to get built with some zoning approvals aimed at improving property values and courting partners, investors and buyers.
Still, land-use attorneys, developers and real estate brokers say there are strong market fundamentals for multifamily projects. That includes Millenials not interested in homeownership and previous homeowners coming out of foreclosures and short sales who cannot qualify for mortgages or now prefer renting.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths