PHOENIX — A young girl was stuck and killed by a driver Saturday evening in Mesa, Ariz.
Mesa police were alerted to the accident near in the 2200 block of East Main Street before 9:00 p.m.
The pedestrian, identified as 5-year-old Marlene Mendoza, was crossing the road with her family and hit by a vehicle being driven by Maria De Los Angeles Castro Balderas, 43. Mendoza died at the scene.
Castro Balderas stopped immediately after the accident and stayed at the scene, according to Mesa police spokesman Steven Berry. Police found no impairment on the driver. The road was closed in both directions for several hours after the accident.
Berry said the woman said she did not see a red light at a mid-block crossing before hitting the girl in a crosswalk.
No other injuries were reported.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development