PHOENIX — A young girl was stuck and killed by a driver Saturday evening in Mesa, Ariz.
Mesa police were alerted to the accident near in the 2200 block of East Main Street before 9:00 p.m.
The pedestrian, identified as 5-year-old Marlene Mendoza, was crossing the road with her family and hit by a vehicle being driven by Maria De Los Angeles Castro Balderas, 43. Mendoza died at the scene.
Castro Balderas stopped immediately after the accident and stayed at the scene, according to Mesa police spokesman Steven Berry. Police found no impairment on the driver. The road was closed in both directions for several hours after the accident.
Berry said the woman said she did not see a red light at a mid-block crossing before hitting the girl in a crosswalk.
No other injuries were reported.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.