PHOENIX — Arizona’s gubernatorial candidates are counting the days before early voting opens for the primary election.
Valley economist Elliott Pollack said in order to win the governor’s race in Arizona, candidates need to focus on their plan to fix the economy.
“They have to pay attention to economic development and attention to the things that make Arizona an attractive place to have facilities,” Pollack said.
Arizona has not recovered from the economic recession of 2009, according to Pollack. He said it would be a mistake for candidates to assume otherwise.
“Candidates need to realize that it is no longer an automatic that Arizona and greater Phoenix are going to do well,” he said. “While we are recovering, (the) recovery has been nothing short of mediocre.”
Population growth in Arizona has also staggered since the economic downturn.
“We’re not in the clear,” Pollack said. “We’re growing at about half the rate we normally would, and we’re growing at about a third of the population growth we normally would.”
Additionally, Pollack said Arizona’s next governor needs to stay away from controversial legislation that could potentially drive people and businesses out of the state.
“SB 1070 and SB 1062 did affect people’s view of Arizona,” he said, referring to two of the more controversial bills that have passed through the state’s Legislature since the recession. Gov. Jan Brewer did not sign the latter into law.
Early voting for Arizona’s primary election opens on July 31.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food