PHOENIX — A University of Arizona professor says many low-income families could be saving themselves hundreds of dollars in utility costs each year.
Gary Pivo, a professor of natural resources and urban planning, said those who rent at low-income apartments often suffer from a lack of energy-efficient features in their buildings such as “double-paned windows, Energy Star appliances — like washing machines, refrigerators and dishwashers.”
Pivo said low-income renters could potentially see savings of $200 to $400 annually if the efficiency of their homes were on par with higher-income homes.
In 2011, The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that home energy accounts for 17 percent of housing costs for families earning below the national median income, compared to just 13 percent of families living above the median.
Pivo said he would like to see more private investors go into retrofitting homes and apartments to make them more energy efficient, being that the government can only give out limited numbers of energy subsidies and grants.
“Properties that do better in terms of energy efficiency can be more valuable, and actually the mortgages on them can default less often,” the professor said.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas