PHOENIX — A judge ruled Friday that Arizona’s public schools are entitled to an additional $317 million in state funding this year, based on inflation.
That number is high, but it could grow to nearly $3 billion over the next five years. Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Katherine Cooper will hold future hearings to determine whether or not to order retroactive funding for past fiscal years.
School administrators called the ruling a partial win. They argued the state violated a voter-approved law by failing to provide mandated inflation money since the 2009 budget crunch.
Andrew Morrill, president of the Arizona Education Association, said these funds are five years late and that $300 million is not enough to fix Arizona’s shattered education system; however, he called the new funds a good start.
“This is an important amount of money the districts desperately need and from which students will absolutely benefit, but there is a long way to go,” he said.
Morrill added that funding public schools needs to be a top priority for Arizona’s next governor.
“Programs, personnel, materials and resources for students can all be enhanced,” he said. “We have a long way to go, but this is a significant amount of money.”
The $317 million will directly benefit students and families, as long as it goes to base-level funding, according to Morrill. He said he hopes to see the state give more money to the education system soon.
KTAR’s Jeremy Foster contributed to this report.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets