PHOENIX — A scorpion sting can be so painful, it could result in a hospital stay. But the scariest part? It is most likely to happen in a bedroom.
“About a third of all scorpion stings occur in the bedroom, and a quarter or so occur in the living room,” Dr. Frank Lovecchio with Banner Health Medical Toxicology Clinic said.
It is very rare for a scorpion sting to be fatal, but the majority of stings are extremely painful, according to Lovecchio.
“We’ve seen grown men on their back in excruciating pain given multiple doses of morphine,” he recalled. “We’ve seen women say that it was as painful as giving birth to a child.”
Lovecchio said to watch for scorpions on the ground, but more importantly, on walls and ceilings.
“If you see it crawling on the ground, it might be a toxic scorpion, but if you see it crawling on your wall or ceiling, then it’s definitely toxic,” he explained.
But if someone is stung, Lovecchio said it is important to call a doctor or poison center immediately.
“The amount of venom that goes into a man is a small drop that you can barely see, but its causing all these toxic effects,” he said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier