PHOENIX — As Arizona’s restaurant industry continues to grow, a Valley expert says restaurants are sure to be putting up more “Help Wanted” signs.
“For the first time ever in recent history, we’re going to lead the nation in year-over-year sales growth,” said Steve Chucri, president and CEO of the Arizona Restaurant Association.
Chucri said Arizona’s culinary industry is poised to reach $11 billion in 2014 and the industry’s value has been steadily climbing for several years after a lull in the mid- to late-2000s.
“It was part immigration, it was part the minimum wage being increased in 2006 (and) it was part of the downturn in the economy and not needing as many staff people in your front of the house and the back of the house,” Chucri said.
However, with strong sales growth and new restaurants opening, Chucri said that could open the door for hiring.
“We’re not only doing well on a sales side, we’re also doing very well in creating jobs in the restaurant industry,” he explained. “If you ask me, ‘Are we going to be able to keep up with demand in the workforce?’ Right now, it’s very difficult.”
Besides seeking new employees, Chucri said businesses will also likely be looking for way to keep the employees they have.
“People are employing all kinds of methods to keep their staff (and) retain their staff,” he said.
Employees might begin to see more flexible scheduling or higher wages as incentive for them to stay on board, he predicted.
Over the next decade, Chucri predicted continued growth in Arizona’s culinary industry and added that technology will also have an effect on that growth.
From point-of-sale services, such as Square, to online employee scheduling such as HotSchedules, Chucri said technology is going to continue to become more involved in Arizona’s restaurant industry.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development