PHOENIX — As Arizona’s restaurant industry continues to grow, a Valley expert says restaurants are sure to be putting up more “Help Wanted” signs.
“For the first time ever in recent history, we’re going to lead the nation in year-over-year sales growth,” said Steve Chucri, president and CEO of the Arizona Restaurant Association.
Chucri said Arizona’s culinary industry is poised to reach $11 billion in 2014 and the industry’s value has been steadily climbing for several years after a lull in the mid- to late-2000s.
“It was part immigration, it was part the minimum wage being increased in 2006 (and) it was part of the downturn in the economy and not needing as many staff people in your front of the house and the back of the house,” Chucri said.
However, with strong sales growth and new restaurants opening, Chucri said that could open the door for hiring.
“We’re not only doing well on a sales side, we’re also doing very well in creating jobs in the restaurant industry,” he explained. “If you ask me, ‘Are we going to be able to keep up with demand in the workforce?’ Right now, it’s very difficult.”
Besides seeking new employees, Chucri said businesses will also likely be looking for way to keep the employees they have.
“People are employing all kinds of methods to keep their staff (and) retain their staff,” he said.
Employees might begin to see more flexible scheduling or higher wages as incentive for them to stay on board, he predicted.
Over the next decade, Chucri predicted continued growth in Arizona’s culinary industry and added that technology will also have an effect on that growth.
From point-of-sale services, such as Square, to online employee scheduling such as HotSchedules, Chucri said technology is going to continue to become more involved in Arizona’s restaurant industry.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets