PHOENIX — A nationwide effort to increase biking has come to Phoenix and getting involved is as easy as turning on a smartphone.
Sara Villalobos with My City Bikes said her organization has been creating mobile apps for cities across the country that are individually tailored to provide bike information and resources in each city.
“Every My City Bikes app is a guide to its city’s beginner-friendly biking,” Villalobos said. “It’s a place where all that city’s road biking, mountain biking, even commuter biking, within the city itself is located there.”
Phoenix is one of 14 versions of the app.
Villalobos said “Phoenix Bikes” provides a lot of useful information for bicyclists in the Valley.
“It’s a place where you can find trails throughout the city and in and around the area, as well as road routes that you can get commuter bikes lanes, where you can bike safely from here to there and get to school or get to work on your bike,” she explained.
The app also has repair information to quickly locate a shop nearby, Villalobos added.
A unique feature of the Phoenix Bikes app is one that is especially important for biking in Arizona’s hot and arid environment.
“We also have a heat stress monitor,” Villalobos said. “You can see today’s weather and based on how hot it is outside you can know a little bit more specifically how much you need to drink in order to avoid heat stress.”
Villalobos said My City Bikes developed the apps to make biking easier and more accessible for people.
“Biking is a simple pleasure (and) it’s something that almost everyone learns how to do in childhood,” she said. “As we grow into adults, a lot of people get away from it and it’s such a simple activity, but it can have such a profound, great effect on one’s own health and also on the community overall.”
Phoenix Bikes is available for free on Android and Apple products.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier