PHOENIX — Forbes magazine has a new list and three Arizona families have made the cut.
Forbes has created the first annual list that features the 185 richest families in America, and before you think you know who’s on it, think again.
According to the Phoenix Business Journal, Forbes “purposefully left out self-made entrepreneurs who founded their companies and who already appear on the Forbes 400 with their nuclear family.”
So that means no Bruce Halle, founder of Discount Tire, or Rob Walton, the chairman of Walmart, who spends part of his time in Paradise Valley.
Instead, the list showcases the Schoen family, who founded U-Haul. They ranked No. 39 with a wealth of $6.8 billion.
The University of Phoenix and Apollo Group’s Sperling family came in at No. 108 with $2.1 billion.
Rounding otu the list is the Stewart family of Services Group of America. They are worth $1.2 billion, making them 164th on the list.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night