PHOENIX — A driver was taken into custody Thursday after going in the wrong direction on a highway east of the Valley.
KTAR’s Detour Dan said the vehicle, described as a Lexus with a New Mexico license plate, reached speeds in excess of 100 mph on the U.S. 60. The vehicle was heading eastbound in the westbound lanes.
“We had DPS set up … for spikes, but he didn’t make it that far,” said Lt. Keith Thompson with the Gila County Sheriff’s Office. “He actually turned of the roadway and we conducted a felony stop on him and got him detained.”
The arrest of 18-year-old Sabain Winsor was made near the town of Superior, Ariz.
Two police departments had warrants out on Winsor.
The vehicle was first spotted traveling southbound in a northbound lane on State Route 188, where the driver made a U-turn and headed the wrong way.
U.S. 60 was closed in both directions during the chase. It was reopened a short time later.
No injuries were reported.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night