PHOENIX — A driver was taken into custody Thursday after going in the wrong direction on a highway east of the Valley.
KTAR’s Detour Dan said the vehicle, described as a Lexus with a New Mexico license plate, reached speeds in excess of 100 mph on the U.S. 60. The vehicle was heading eastbound in the westbound lanes.
“We had DPS set up … for spikes, but he didn’t make it that far,” said Lt. Keith Thompson with the Gila County Sheriff’s Office. “He actually turned of the roadway and we conducted a felony stop on him and got him detained.”
The arrest of 18-year-old Sabain Winsor was made near the town of Superior, Ariz.
Two police departments had warrants out on Winsor.
The vehicle was first spotted traveling southbound in a northbound lane on State Route 188, where the driver made a U-turn and headed the wrong way.
U.S. 60 was closed in both directions during the chase. It was reopened a short time later.
No injuries were reported.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon