PHOENIX — A driver was taken into custody Thursday after going in the wrong direction on a highway east of the Valley.
KTAR’s Detour Dan said the vehicle, described as a Lexus with a New Mexico license plate, reached speeds in excess of 100 mph on the U.S. 60. The vehicle was heading eastbound in the westbound lanes.
“We had DPS set up … for spikes, but he didn’t make it that far,” said Lt. Keith Thompson with the Gila County Sheriff’s Office. “He actually turned of the roadway and we conducted a felony stop on him and got him detained.”
The arrest of 18-year-old Sabain Winsor was made near the town of Superior, Ariz.
Two police departments had warrants out on Winsor.
The vehicle was first spotted traveling southbound in a northbound lane on State Route 188, where the driver made a U-turn and headed the wrong way.
U.S. 60 was closed in both directions during the chase. It was reopened a short time later.
No injuries were reported.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier