PHOENIX — U.S. Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake announced Thursday they will introduce a bill to address the humanitarian crisis at the U.S.-Mexico border, where tens of thousands of unaccompanied children are detained as they attempt to cross into the U.S.
McCain urged Congress to act and amend immigration laws and give law enforcement the ability to return children home as safely as possible.
“This crisis will continue until the parents who paid thousands of dollars to smuggle their children north to the United States see plane-loads of them landing back at home – their money wasted,” he said in a release.
The provisions of the bill include increasing the number of immigration judges to hear cases, and the number of refugee visas by 5,000 for each of El Salvador, Honduras and Ecuador.
Furthermore, the bill would also allow law enforcement to return undocumented immigrants that are stopped at the border to their home countries in a matter of hours or days as opposed to the months or years it currently takes in most cases.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night