PHOENIX — U.S. Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake announced Thursday they will introduce a bill to address the humanitarian crisis at the U.S.-Mexico border, where tens of thousands of unaccompanied children are detained as they attempt to cross into the U.S.
McCain urged Congress to act and amend immigration laws and give law enforcement the ability to return children home as safely as possible.
“This crisis will continue until the parents who paid thousands of dollars to smuggle their children north to the United States see plane-loads of them landing back at home – their money wasted,” he said in a release.
The provisions of the bill include increasing the number of immigration judges to hear cases, and the number of refugee visas by 5,000 for each of El Salvador, Honduras and Ecuador.
Furthermore, the bill would also allow law enforcement to return undocumented immigrants that are stopped at the border to their home countries in a matter of hours or days as opposed to the months or years it currently takes in most cases.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.