PHOENIX — Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema along with Howard and Jean Somers are working together to improve access and quality of mental health services available to veterans at the Department of Veterans Affairs.
The Somers are the parents of Army veteran Daniel Somers, who committed suicide on June 2013 after not receiving proper care from the Phoenix VA.
“Together (with the Somers) we developed the Classified Veterans Access to Care Act, to ensure that all veterans, including those with classified experiences, get immediate access to mental health services in the appropriate care setting,” Sinema said during a House Veterans Affairs Committee hearing.
Sinema said that 22 veterans a day take their own lives, and hopes that the act will result in much-needed revisions to many current VA practices.
The Somers family would also like VA representatives from across the country to come together for an honest review of the entire VA system.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development