PHOENIX — Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema along with Howard and Jean Somers are working together to improve access and quality of mental health services available to veterans at the Department of Veterans Affairs.
The Somers are the parents of Army veteran Daniel Somers, who committed suicide on June 2013 after not receiving proper care from the Phoenix VA.
“Together (with the Somers) we developed the Classified Veterans Access to Care Act, to ensure that all veterans, including those with classified experiences, get immediate access to mental health services in the appropriate care setting,” Sinema said during a House Veterans Affairs Committee hearing.
Sinema said that 22 veterans a day take their own lives, and hopes that the act will result in much-needed revisions to many current VA practices.
The Somers family would also like VA representatives from across the country to come together for an honest review of the entire VA system.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night