PHOENIX — Good news, Phoenix residents: You’re halfway through the latest round of light rail construction.
Melissa Quillard with Valley Metro said it has taken crews working the 19th Avenue extension 18 months to meet this milestone.
“People are going to start to see track being laid, we’re going to start to build the actual stations, so it’s really going to start to look like a light rail system,” she said.
The extension will extend light rail service to Dunlap Avenue. It’s expected to increase ridership by 5,000 passengers daily.
“It’s really going to create this connectivity for all of the residents that live in this area as well as for people who already utilize the light rail line,” Quillard said.
Light rail construction is also on-going in the East Valley.
Valley Metro hopes to have 60 miles of light rail in the city by 2034.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier