PHOENIX — A Valley climate expert said a recent report that claimed Phoenix summers could be 10 degrees warmer by the end of the century is flawed.
Arizona State University climate scientist Randy Cerveny said the Climate Central study which said greenhouse gases will push summertime temperatures in Arizona to an average of 114 degrees by 2100 left out a big piece of the puzzle: monsoon humidity. That dampening stabilizes temperatures.
“When we get the water coming in from Mexico that actually holds in the heat and keeps our temperatures more moderate at 105,” Cerveny said.
The study had another critical flaw, Cerveny said. It didn’t factor in nighttime lows.
“Their methodology of this report is fundamentally flawed,” he said. “They even state their study did not include humidity or dew point in its temperature analysis and assumes greenhouse gas emissions increase as they have over the past few decades.
“They don’t account for the fact that emissions influence temperatures more during nighttime rather than daytime, they simply just tacked the estimated warming onto current high temperature.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food