PHOENIX — Two wildfires last month and now threats of mudslides are taking a toll on residents and businesses along Oak Creek Canyon.
But a few days of bad news could be in a visitor’s favor.
“For most dates between today and the end of August, we’ve dropped our rates about 30 percent off, which for a one bedroom for two people is about $139 a night,” Chris Bosselmann said. The Junipine Resort’s manager suspects other businesses are offering similar incentives.
The resort sits about a half mile from where the fire lines stopped, but Bosselmann said from the road visitors to the canyon will find much of the forest looks the same, save for one sign. “With the early monsoon storms north and south of us, the water has taken on a brownish, blackish tint,” he said.
Although the creek will take some time to recover, he said the Rainbow Trout Farm down State Route 89A is fully stocked.
“Garland’s, Indian Market, and the Junipine Café are all open and ready to go,” he said. Forest Houses Resort is also open for business and one of the few places where creekside access is available.
It will take until at least September before all of the canyon’s creekside access and trails are open once again.
In the meantime, Bosselmann said visitors can still take a 2-10 mile drive down the highway to hike on the beautiful Bell Rock and Sedona trails.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.