PHOENIX — Two wildfires last month and now threats of mudslides are taking a toll on residents and businesses along Oak Creek Canyon.
But a few days of bad news could be in a visitor’s favor.
“For most dates between today and the end of August, we’ve dropped our rates about 30 percent off, which for a one bedroom for two people is about $139 a night,” Chris Bosselmann said. The Junipine Resort’s manager suspects other businesses are offering similar incentives.
The resort sits about a half mile from where the fire lines stopped, but Bosselmann said from the road visitors to the canyon will find much of the forest looks the same, save for one sign. “With the early monsoon storms north and south of us, the water has taken on a brownish, blackish tint,” he said.
Although the creek will take some time to recover, he said the Rainbow Trout Farm down State Route 89A is fully stocked.
“Garland’s, Indian Market, and the Junipine Café are all open and ready to go,” he said. Forest Houses Resort is also open for business and one of the few places where creekside access is available.
It will take until at least September before all of the canyon’s creekside access and trails are open once again.
In the meantime, Bosselmann said visitors can still take a 2-10 mile drive down the highway to hike on the beautiful Bell Rock and Sedona trails.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon