PHOENIX — Arizona Republicans in Congress said they won’t greenlight President Obama’s request for billions of dollars to deal with the migrant child crisis.
Rep. Paul Gosar said he doesn’t believe the U.S. House will approve the president’s call for almost $4 billion to handle the flood of undocumented children from Central America.
Gosar said the president’s plan is “filled with fluff” and not all of the money is going for more judges, detention facilities, and care for the kids.
“There’s over $650 million in this bill for wildland fires to try to extort the vote from western states,” he said.
Like his fellow Republicans and a growing number of Democrats, Gosar questioned why the president didn’t go to the border on his Texas trip this week.
U.S. Rep. David Schweikert (R-Ariz.) said it’s time for “real action from the president” to stop the flood of undocumented children across the Texas border.
Like Gosar, he doesn’t believe the president will get House approval for his funding request.
“Just because of where the money is being allocated. Remember, the president’s numbers approach $60,000 per unaccompanied minor.”
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains