PHOENIX — A Valley medical center will soon give its staff a chance to cope with the death of patients.
Mercy Gilbert Medical Center is starting a new program where staff members can talk through their emotions.
The program aims to give care to medical caregivers — those who regularly treat people who are either sick or dying. Martin Breeden, Dignity Health’s Arizona vice president of mission integration, said sometimes the caregivers need to be cared for, too.
“Because we are human, we are emotionally invested in those types of cases,” Breeden said.
Nurses and doctors who participate in the new program at Mercy Gilbert will be given tools to help deal with the emotional struggles that come with the job of providing care, Breeden said.
“We look into the eyes of the people who we serve and we see that humanity in them. And we’re suffering over the suffering of others,” he said.
The program is called the Schwartz Center Rounds. Breeden said he hopes it will give the hospital’s medical staff a chance to decompress after losing a patient.
“We always want to care for those who care for others, and this is one way of doing that,” he said.
Breed said the Schwartz program will begin at Mercy Gilbert on July 23.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier