PHOENIX — Childhood obesity is one of Arizona’s fastest-growing problems, so Phoenix Children’s Hospital is throwing its weight behind fighting the epidemic.
“The fight needs to happen on multiple grounds,” Kristen Samaddar, a PCH pediatrician, said. “It’s going to have to happen with better awareness by doctors about the problem, and knowing what resources we can provide, and what works and what doesn’t work.”
Samaddar said she treats obese children daily who are struggling to participate in normal activities.
She recalled an appointment with a young, overweight boy.
“When I asked him, ‘Why do you want to be healthier? What would be good about it for you?’ he and his mom said he was having trouble getting out of a chair, and he wanted that to be easier,” Samaddar said.
Samaddar said the boy is one of many children in Arizona struggling with their weight. In fact, Arizona has the seventh-highest percentage of obese teens in the U.S.
“Close to 17 percent of children are obese, meaning that their body mass index is above the 96th percentile,” she said.
So, PCH has opened a new childhood obesity clinic.
“As doctors, we’re hoping to help families find what they can do to be healthier and little steps that all add up,” she said.
Encouraging kids to get outdoors, eat healthfully and lose weight are the main goals of the clinic, according to Samaddar. She said she hopes the hospital’s efforts help significantly lower Arizona’s childhood obesity rate over the next few years.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier