PHOENIX — Childhood obesity is one of Arizona’s fastest-growing problems, so Phoenix Children’s Hospital is throwing its weight behind fighting the epidemic.
“The fight needs to happen on multiple grounds,” Kristen Samaddar, a PCH pediatrician, said. “It’s going to have to happen with better awareness by doctors about the problem, and knowing what resources we can provide, and what works and what doesn’t work.”
Samaddar said she treats obese children daily who are struggling to participate in normal activities.
She recalled an appointment with a young, overweight boy.
“When I asked him, ‘Why do you want to be healthier? What would be good about it for you?’ he and his mom said he was having trouble getting out of a chair, and he wanted that to be easier,” Samaddar said.
Samaddar said the boy is one of many children in Arizona struggling with their weight. In fact, Arizona has the seventh-highest percentage of obese teens in the U.S.
“Close to 17 percent of children are obese, meaning that their body mass index is above the 96th percentile,” she said.
So, PCH has opened a new childhood obesity clinic.
“As doctors, we’re hoping to help families find what they can do to be healthier and little steps that all add up,” she said.
Encouraging kids to get outdoors, eat healthfully and lose weight are the main goals of the clinic, according to Samaddar. She said she hopes the hospital’s efforts help significantly lower Arizona’s childhood obesity rate over the next few years.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon