SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — One week ago, just as many of us we’re starting our day at work, Scottsdale Park Ranger Kathy Mascaro was ending hers.
“I was pretty much at the end of my shift,” she said.
That’s when she came upon a hiker on the Pinnacle Peak Trailhead.
“The guy was totally passed out…his lips were blue.”
Mascaro thought he was gone. Instead of calling for a coroner, Mascaro turned the 50-year old man over and began continuous chest compressions to a popular BeeGee’s song.
“‘Staying Alive’… that’s what was going through my head.”
She took the compression-only class two years earlier.
“But, it’s not that hard to remember, because there’s no counting anymore, no breaths to give, it’s just straight chest compressions.”
Hands-only CPR is becoming a trend, said Scottsdale Fire Chief John Whitney.
“The science is showing that the survivability of cardiac arrest patients is dramatically enhanced by rapid intervention,” he said.
The hiker survived, thanks to Mascaro’s rapid intervention. Colleagues at the Scottsdale Fire Department presented her with a special silver coin and a certificate of honor for her life-saving actions.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food