PHOENIX — Phoenix police are offering up to a $1,000 reward for information on a suspect they said robbed an ill cancer patient at gunpoint outside a high school gymnasium June 29.
The victim was a 23-year-old Hispanic male undergoing cancer treatment.
He first went to his aunt’s house to pick up a large sum of cash raised for his treatments, and then headed to St. Mary’s High School to watch a friend play basketball.
As he was leaving, he heard someone yell his name from behind and shortly after was knocked to the ground.
The suspect pointed a handgun at the victim and demanded money. He then took the envelope filled with cash from the victim and ran to a white 2000-2005 Buick in the parking lot and took off.
The suspect is described as being a black male between 20 and 25 years old, 6-foot-4 and was wearing a black tank top at the time.
As the suspect was pulling away he collided with a green pole, causing damage to the passenger side mirror and door.
The family wishes to remain anonymous as they deal with their son’s illness.
Anyone with information on this crime is asked to contact Silent Witness at (480) WITNESS.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.