PHOENIX — Phoenix police are offering up to a $1,000 reward for information on a suspect they said robbed an ill cancer patient at gunpoint outside a high school gymnasium June 29.
The victim was a 23-year-old Hispanic male undergoing cancer treatment.
He first went to his aunt’s house to pick up a large sum of cash raised for his treatments, and then headed to St. Mary’s High School to watch a friend play basketball.
As he was leaving, he heard someone yell his name from behind and shortly after was knocked to the ground.
The suspect pointed a handgun at the victim and demanded money. He then took the envelope filled with cash from the victim and ran to a white 2000-2005 Buick in the parking lot and took off.
The suspect is described as being a black male between 20 and 25 years old, 6-foot-4 and was wearing a black tank top at the time.
As the suspect was pulling away he collided with a green pole, causing damage to the passenger side mirror and door.
The family wishes to remain anonymous as they deal with their son’s illness.
Anyone with information on this crime is asked to contact Silent Witness at (480) WITNESS.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl