PHOENIX — A recent survey has shown that there is a bump of teens experimenting with cigarettes in June and July, mostly due to boredom and ample free time over the summer.
The National Survey on Drug Use and Health surveyed teens between the ages of 12 and 17 and discovered that more than 4,800 of these smoked cigarettes for the first time on a typical day in June or July.
In other months, the daily average is 3,000.
Less responsibilities combined with peer pressure offers teens the perfect opportunity to experiment with drugs, tobacco or alcohol.
The CIGNAL, Arizona’s anti-smoking program, helps young smokers, educates parents, young adults and teens on how they can avoid being part of these statistics.
It’s important for parents and caregivers to encourage youth to stay busy with jobs, volunteering, free programs or other positive activities.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contirbuted to this report.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes