PHOENIX — A recent survey has shown that there is a bump of teens experimenting with cigarettes in June and July, mostly due to boredom and ample free time over the summer.
The National Survey on Drug Use and Health surveyed teens between the ages of 12 and 17 and discovered that more than 4,800 of these smoked cigarettes for the first time on a typical day in June or July.
In other months, the daily average is 3,000.
Less responsibilities combined with peer pressure offers teens the perfect opportunity to experiment with drugs, tobacco or alcohol.
The CIGNAL, Arizona’s anti-smoking program, helps young smokers, educates parents, young adults and teens on how they can avoid being part of these statistics.
It’s important for parents and caregivers to encourage youth to stay busy with jobs, volunteering, free programs or other positive activities.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contirbuted to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier