PHOENIX — A recent survey has shown that there is a bump of teens experimenting with cigarettes in June and July, mostly due to boredom and ample free time over the summer.
The National Survey on Drug Use and Health surveyed teens between the ages of 12 and 17 and discovered that more than 4,800 of these smoked cigarettes for the first time on a typical day in June or July.
In other months, the daily average is 3,000.
Less responsibilities combined with peer pressure offers teens the perfect opportunity to experiment with drugs, tobacco or alcohol.
The CIGNAL, Arizona’s anti-smoking program, helps young smokers, educates parents, young adults and teens on how they can avoid being part of these statistics.
It’s important for parents and caregivers to encourage youth to stay busy with jobs, volunteering, free programs or other positive activities.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contirbuted to this report.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food