PHOENIX — A recent survey has shown that there is a bump of teens experimenting with cigarettes in June and July, mostly due to boredom and ample free time over the summer.
The National Survey on Drug Use and Health surveyed teens between the ages of 12 and 17 and discovered that more than 4,800 of these smoked cigarettes for the first time on a typical day in June or July.
In other months, the daily average is 3,000.
Less responsibilities combined with peer pressure offers teens the perfect opportunity to experiment with drugs, tobacco or alcohol.
The CIGNAL, Arizona’s anti-smoking program, helps young smokers, educates parents, young adults and teens on how they can avoid being part of these statistics.
It’s important for parents and caregivers to encourage youth to stay busy with jobs, volunteering, free programs or other positive activities.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contirbuted to this report.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development