PHOENIX — Quick! In U.S. sports, who would you name as the greatest all around athlete of the past century?
Most sports enthusiasts would say Jim Thorpe. But, many may not know that the multi-talented Olympic gold medalist, who also played pro baseball and football, was also a Pottawatomie Indian from Oklahoma.
This week, thousands of Native American athletes from around the country hope to show their sports greatness, too, at the 13th Annual Lori Piestewa National Native American Games in Fountain Hills.
“Our first games kick off Thursday night with basketball,” said Gary Nees with the Grand Canyon State Games (GCSG). “On Friday, at six in the morning, we do cross country, and then the other six sports follow throughout the weekend.”
As of Wednesday morning, Nees said the softball, volleyball, basketball and baseball tournaments were already bracketed and closed to new entries, “but, the individual sports — wrestling, cross country and track — are all open.”
Nees noted that the GCSG named the competition after Navajo native Lori Piestewa because she was a national and local hero and.
“She was an athlete in high school, a three sport letterman, basketball, track, cross country,” said Nees.
Piestewa was the first Native American Woman ever killed in combat. She died in 2003 when her vehicle was attacked during the U.S. invasion in Iraq.
To see what’s open, where to go, and what times the games are starting, visit the Grand Canyon State Games website.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets