PHOENIX — Quick! In U.S. sports, who would you name as the greatest all around athlete of the past century?
Most sports enthusiasts would say Jim Thorpe. But, many may not know that the multi-talented Olympic gold medalist, who also played pro baseball and football, was also a Pottawatomie Indian from Oklahoma.
This week, thousands of Native American athletes from around the country hope to show their sports greatness, too, at the 13th Annual Lori Piestewa National Native American Games in Fountain Hills.
“Our first games kick off Thursday night with basketball,” said Gary Nees with the Grand Canyon State Games (GCSG). “On Friday, at six in the morning, we do cross country, and then the other six sports follow throughout the weekend.”
As of Wednesday morning, Nees said the softball, volleyball, basketball and baseball tournaments were already bracketed and closed to new entries, “but, the individual sports — wrestling, cross country and track — are all open.”
Nees noted that the GCSG named the competition after Navajo native Lori Piestewa because she was a national and local hero and.
“She was an athlete in high school, a three sport letterman, basketball, track, cross country,” said Nees.
Piestewa was the first Native American Woman ever killed in combat. She died in 2003 when her vehicle was attacked during the U.S. invasion in Iraq.
To see what’s open, where to go, and what times the games are starting, visit the Grand Canyon State Games website.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development