PHOENIX — An 11-year-old girl from Florida has a second chance of having a normal life after years of battling a rare brain disorder.
Everyday was a struggle for Holly Hudson.
“It was tough; I struggled in school a lot,” Holly said.
Holly had an extremely rare tumor on her brain that caused seizures — nearly 50 every month.
Her mother, Gina Hudson, said the family was getting desperate to find help for her.
“I felt lost because I couldn’t offer her anything or any help,” Hudson explained.
After fighting the disorder for years, both mom and daughter began losing hope; however, hope sprang anew after the mother contacted specialists at the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix.
The doctors at Barrow said they could help Holly with her seizures.
“We were able to talk to her and determine she was a good candidate for treatment and bring her in,” Dr. Peter Nakaji said.
Nakaji said they tried a new, advanced laser brain surgery technique on her, and now she is living seizure free.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon