PHOENIX — An 11-year-old girl from Florida has a second chance of having a normal life after years of battling a rare brain disorder.
Everyday was a struggle for Holly Hudson.
“It was tough; I struggled in school a lot,” Holly said.
Holly had an extremely rare tumor on her brain that caused seizures — nearly 50 every month.
Her mother, Gina Hudson, said the family was getting desperate to find help for her.
“I felt lost because I couldn’t offer her anything or any help,” Hudson explained.
After fighting the disorder for years, both mom and daughter began losing hope; however, hope sprang anew after the mother contacted specialists at the Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix.
The doctors at Barrow said they could help Holly with her seizures.
“We were able to talk to her and determine she was a good candidate for treatment and bring her in,” Dr. Peter Nakaji said.
Nakaji said they tried a new, advanced laser brain surgery technique on her, and now she is living seizure free.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain