PHOENIX — With about 300 days of sunshine in Arizona, a local foundation wants to make skin cancer a thing of the past.
It was 21 years ago that Jeff Dulude, 37, died from melanoma and his widow, Claudia, has since founded the Jeff Dulude Melanoma Foundation in his honor.
Claudia Dulude said the foundation’s goal is to end deaths from the disease.
“Melanoma is a preventable cancer,” she said.
Part of preventing that disease is raising awareness to the dangers of too much sun exposure.
“It’s accumulative,” she explained. “If you were in the sun today, for two hours, it counts like two packs of cigarettes.”
With so much sun exposure here, Dulude said it is critical for people to get screened to check for skin cancer, especially in young adults and adolescents where it is the second most common form of cancer.
“The early detection of college-aged people is really the best way,” Delude said.
In a recent screening at the University of Arizona, Delude said that out of 62 students checked, 40 percent were referred to see a dermatologist.
Catching melanoma early sharply increases a person’s chance of surviving and getting screened is a great way to increase the likely hood of detection, she said.
Other than getting screened, it’s equally important to wear protection, such as hats and sunscreen, daily. She also said staying out of tanning beds is important, because they increase the chance of cancer by 75 percent.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets