PHOENIX — With about 300 days of sunshine in Arizona, a local foundation wants to make skin cancer a thing of the past.
It was 21 years ago that Jeff Dulude, 37, died from melanoma and his widow, Claudia, has since founded the Jeff Dulude Melanoma Foundation in his honor.
Claudia Dulude said the foundation’s goal is to end deaths from the disease.
“Melanoma is a preventable cancer,” she said.
Part of preventing that disease is raising awareness to the dangers of too much sun exposure.
“It’s accumulative,” she explained. “If you were in the sun today, for two hours, it counts like two packs of cigarettes.”
With so much sun exposure here, Dulude said it is critical for people to get screened to check for skin cancer, especially in young adults and adolescents where it is the second most common form of cancer.
“The early detection of college-aged people is really the best way,” Delude said.
In a recent screening at the University of Arizona, Delude said that out of 62 students checked, 40 percent were referred to see a dermatologist.
Catching melanoma early sharply increases a person’s chance of surviving and getting screened is a great way to increase the likely hood of detection, she said.
Other than getting screened, it’s equally important to wear protection, such as hats and sunscreen, daily. She also said staying out of tanning beds is important, because they increase the chance of cancer by 75 percent.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America