PHOENIX — Much of the land that was burned in last month’s Slide Fire in Oak Creek Canyon has not rejuvenated, and now monsoons have dumped strong rains in the area, increasing risks for drivers.
The Arizona Department of Transportation is warning drivers passing along State Route 89A that the risk of flash floods and mudslides is currently very high.
Over the Fourth of July weekend, ADOT Spokesman Dustin Krugel said there have already been three closures.
“In each instance, we had water that had crossed the roadway and debris that flowed onto the roadway,” he said.
Krugel said ADOT has decided to stage heavy equipment along the route as a way to quickly respond to incidents.
“One of those things that we’re doing is actually staging heavy equipment in the Oak Creek Canyon area, including road graders, and when this is occurring, we’re going to have our own staff that is patrolling the route and keeping an eye on things,” he said.
The equipment will also be used to take a proactive approach aimed at minimizing damage or delays in the event of a mudslide or flash flood.
“Before the storm, we’re also clearing culverts and roadside ditches to make sure that there’s no debris in them, because we want to make sure when the floods come there is a place for the water to go,” he explained.
Drivers should use extra caution when passing through the area and Krugel said it’s very important for drivers to obey signs, not cross flooded washes and pay attention to weather reports to avoid the area during storms.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development