PHOENIX — Much of the land that was burned in last month’s Slide Fire in Oak Creek Canyon has not rejuvenated, and now monsoons have dumped strong rains in the area, increasing risks for drivers.
The Arizona Department of Transportation is warning drivers passing along State Route 89A that the risk of flash floods and mudslides is currently very high.
Over the Fourth of July weekend, ADOT Spokesman Dustin Krugel said there have already been three closures.
“In each instance, we had water that had crossed the roadway and debris that flowed onto the roadway,” he said.
Krugel said ADOT has decided to stage heavy equipment along the route as a way to quickly respond to incidents.
“One of those things that we’re doing is actually staging heavy equipment in the Oak Creek Canyon area, including road graders, and when this is occurring, we’re going to have our own staff that is patrolling the route and keeping an eye on things,” he said.
The equipment will also be used to take a proactive approach aimed at minimizing damage or delays in the event of a mudslide or flash flood.
“Before the storm, we’re also clearing culverts and roadside ditches to make sure that there’s no debris in them, because we want to make sure when the floods come there is a place for the water to go,” he explained.
Drivers should use extra caution when passing through the area and Krugel said it’s very important for drivers to obey signs, not cross flooded washes and pay attention to weather reports to avoid the area during storms.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths