PHOENIX — Phoenix Children’s Hospital received a donation toward cancer research, which its physicians say could go a long way in finding new treatments.
Tom Scheurn, president of the Valley Hyundai Dealers Association, presented a check to PCH Attending Physician Pooja Hingorani on Tuesday as part of Hyundai’s Hope on Wheels program.
“We’re excited to be here today to present Dr. Pooja Hingorani with a donation check of $75,000 and hold our signatures handprint ceremony to honor the brave children receiving treatment here at Phoenix Children’s Hospital,” Scheurn said.
The $75,000 will go toward research into treatments of a childhood and adolescent bone cancer called osteosarcoma, a disease that kills thousands of kids each year, Hingorani said.
“Almost 10,000 or more kids are diagnosed each year in this country and almost 20 percent of those kids will die of their disease,” she said. “I think that is one too many kids.”
Hingorani hopes PCH can move forward with developing new types of treatments for osteosarcoma. Current treatments are limited and antiquated.
“Treatment options for the last several decades have been very, very limited,” she said. “We used the same three drugs over and over again and in the setting where these three drugs fail and the tumor comes back or progresses, we really don’t have other good treatment options.”
The money is the second donation given to Hingorani, but the first that will go toward studying osteosarcoma.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets