PHOENIX — Phoenix Children’s Hospital received a donation toward cancer research, which its physicians say could go a long way in finding new treatments.
Tom Scheurn, president of the Valley Hyundai Dealers Association, presented a check to PCH Attending Physician Pooja Hingorani on Tuesday as part of Hyundai’s Hope on Wheels program.
“We’re excited to be here today to present Dr. Pooja Hingorani with a donation check of $75,000 and hold our signatures handprint ceremony to honor the brave children receiving treatment here at Phoenix Children’s Hospital,” Scheurn said.
The $75,000 will go toward research into treatments of a childhood and adolescent bone cancer called osteosarcoma, a disease that kills thousands of kids each year, Hingorani said.
“Almost 10,000 or more kids are diagnosed each year in this country and almost 20 percent of those kids will die of their disease,” she said. “I think that is one too many kids.”
Hingorani hopes PCH can move forward with developing new types of treatments for osteosarcoma. Current treatments are limited and antiquated.
“Treatment options for the last several decades have been very, very limited,” she said. “We used the same three drugs over and over again and in the setting where these three drugs fail and the tumor comes back or progresses, we really don’t have other good treatment options.”
The money is the second donation given to Hingorani, but the first that will go toward studying osteosarcoma.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development