PHOENIX — A Valley teen and her brother are planning a treacherous hike through the Sierra Nevadas to raise awareness and money for Type 1 diabetes research.
“I have Type 1 diabetes myself,” Haley Maurice said. “I’ve had it for more than half my life.”
The 15-year-old from Phoenix said she hasn’t let the chronic disease slow her down.
“I live with this thing but it doesn’t have to stop me from going out and living my dreams.”
One of those dreams is to raise awareness about the disease. To that end, she and her brother Ethan planned an adventure hike in California.
“We’ll be backpacking 221 miles from Yosemite National Park to Mountain Whitney and we’re raising money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.”
The two call the project Summit Diabetes and they have a goal of raising $1,000 per mile in sponsorships totaling $221,000. Maurice said she and Ethan are traveling alone and are traveling light.
“We have two reply points that we are sending more food to but other than that we’ll be carrying all of our gear on our backs,” Maurice said.
She said that includes her diabetes medicine.
The hike is expected to take three weeks to complete. The siblings leave July 13.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night