PHOENIX — A Valley teen and her brother are planning a treacherous hike through the Sierra Nevadas to raise awareness and money for Type 1 diabetes research.
“I have Type 1 diabetes myself,” Haley Maurice said. “I’ve had it for more than half my life.”
The 15-year-old from Phoenix said she hasn’t let the chronic disease slow her down.
“I live with this thing but it doesn’t have to stop me from going out and living my dreams.”
One of those dreams is to raise awareness about the disease. To that end, she and her brother Ethan planned an adventure hike in California.
“We’ll be backpacking 221 miles from Yosemite National Park to Mountain Whitney and we’re raising money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.”
The two call the project Summit Diabetes and they have a goal of raising $1,000 per mile in sponsorships totaling $221,000. Maurice said she and Ethan are traveling alone and are traveling light.
“We have two reply points that we are sending more food to but other than that we’ll be carrying all of our gear on our backs,” Maurice said.
She said that includes her diabetes medicine.
The hike is expected to take three weeks to complete. The siblings leave July 13.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick