PHOENIX — A Valley teen and her brother are planning a treacherous hike through the Sierra Nevadas to raise awareness and money for Type 1 diabetes research.
“I have Type 1 diabetes myself,” Haley Maurice said. “I’ve had it for more than half my life.”
The 15-year-old from Phoenix said she hasn’t let the chronic disease slow her down.
“I live with this thing but it doesn’t have to stop me from going out and living my dreams.”
One of those dreams is to raise awareness about the disease. To that end, she and her brother Ethan planned an adventure hike in California.
“We’ll be backpacking 221 miles from Yosemite National Park to Mountain Whitney and we’re raising money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.”
The two call the project Summit Diabetes and they have a goal of raising $1,000 per mile in sponsorships totaling $221,000. Maurice said she and Ethan are traveling alone and are traveling light.
“We have two reply points that we are sending more food to but other than that we’ll be carrying all of our gear on our backs,” Maurice said.
She said that includes her diabetes medicine.
The hike is expected to take three weeks to complete. The siblings leave July 13.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths