PHOENIX — Arizona’s Special Olympics volleyball team will represent the United States on the world stage.
In August, the team will travel to Europe to compete against several other international Special Olympics volleyball teams.
“We’re going to Poland to represent Special Olympics, along with the USA, and we’re going to be playing Poland, Germany and Serbia,” Assistant Coach Oscar Olinger said.
Olinger is a former Special Olympics athlete and once competed on the team he now coaches. He said this is one of the most prestigious volleyball tournaments a special athlete could be invited to compete in.
“I think it’s cool,” he said. “It’s a once in a lifetime thing and it’s going to be fun…I’m happy.”
The competition is going to be hard to beat, according to Olinger.
“It’s going to be tough, but we’ll have a good shot,” he said.
Olinger said being invited to coach in this tournament is one of the greatest honors of his life.
“I’m just happy to go and represent my country and USA and Arizona and have fun,” he said.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them