PHOENIX — Arizona’s Special Olympics volleyball team will represent the United States on the world stage.
In August, the team will travel to Europe to compete against several other international Special Olympics volleyball teams.
“We’re going to Poland to represent Special Olympics, along with the USA, and we’re going to be playing Poland, Germany and Serbia,” Assistant Coach Oscar Olinger said.
Olinger is a former Special Olympics athlete and once competed on the team he now coaches. He said this is one of the most prestigious volleyball tournaments a special athlete could be invited to compete in.
“I think it’s cool,” he said. “It’s a once in a lifetime thing and it’s going to be fun…I’m happy.”
The competition is going to be hard to beat, according to Olinger.
“It’s going to be tough, but we’ll have a good shot,” he said.
Olinger said being invited to coach in this tournament is one of the greatest honors of his life.
“I’m just happy to go and represent my country and USA and Arizona and have fun,” he said.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths