PHOENIX — Most Valley residents think they’re covered for flash floods this monsoon season, thanks to a basic homeowner’s policy.
“Flood insurance is not covered under your homeowner’s insurance policy,” said Catherine O’Neil with the Arizona Department of Insurance. “So if you need coverage for floods, you would have to go through the National Flood Insurance program.”
This is pretty standard as homeowners insurance policies go, she said.
“If there’s a bad storm that blows off your roof and water gets in your house…that would be covered under your homeowner’s insurance policy,” she said. “But if there’s water on the ground and it flows into your house …that’s flood water, and that’s not covered under your homeowner’s insurance policy.”
Be sure to check your policy. O’Neil added you can get decent coverage for around $300 yearly. That cost will go up or down, however, based on things like if you have a basement, a single-story or double-story home or if you’re in a high-risk flood zone.
“One of the key things to keep in mind is that a flood insurance policy does not go into effect until 30 days after,” she said. “So you can’t wait until rains are close to your neighborhood and you think you’re going to be flooded to purchase the coverage.”
Check here for flood insurance information, tips and what kind you need.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets