PHOENIX — Most Valley residents think they’re covered for flash floods this monsoon season, thanks to a basic homeowner’s policy.
“Flood insurance is not covered under your homeowner’s insurance policy,” said Catherine O’Neil with the Arizona Department of Insurance. “So if you need coverage for floods, you would have to go through the National Flood Insurance program.”
This is pretty standard as homeowners insurance policies go, she said.
“If there’s a bad storm that blows off your roof and water gets in your house…that would be covered under your homeowner’s insurance policy,” she said. “But if there’s water on the ground and it flows into your house …that’s flood water, and that’s not covered under your homeowner’s insurance policy.”
Be sure to check your policy. O’Neil added you can get decent coverage for around $300 yearly. That cost will go up or down, however, based on things like if you have a basement, a single-story or double-story home or if you’re in a high-risk flood zone.
“One of the key things to keep in mind is that a flood insurance policy does not go into effect until 30 days after,” she said. “So you can’t wait until rains are close to your neighborhood and you think you’re going to be flooded to purchase the coverage.”
Check here for flood insurance information, tips and what kind you need.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development